Due to a recent increase in identity theft, the Office of the Town Clerk would like to remind Waterbury's citizens of the guidelines for obtaining a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate. These guidelines, developed by the State of Connecticut, are crucial in maintaining the rights and safety of the City's residents.
Accessing Birth Certificates: Access to birth records less than 100 years old is restricted in Connecticut. Pursuant to CT general statues, the following are the only persons who may have access to or be permitted to examine the original of any copy of a birth certificate or birth record – NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE:
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over eighteen years of age
- Such person's children, grandchildren, spouse, parent, guardian or grandparent
- Attorneys-at-law and title examiners representing such person or such person's parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse
- Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the secretary of the state to do business or conduct affairs in this state
- Agents of a state of federal agency as approved by the department
Any eligible party requesting a copy of a birth certificate must provide verification of the relationship entitling them to a copy of the birth certificate. Additionally, the requester must submit the following documentation (ONLY THESE DOCUMENTS ARE ALLOWED AS PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION):
A photographic identification; or, if a photo ID is not available, at least two of the following documents:
- A Social Security Card
- Written verification of identity from employer
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill showing name and address
- Checking account deposit slip showing name and address
- Voter registration card
Telephone verification of any information concerning the birth of birth record is prohibited. The charge is $5.00 for a copy of a birth certificate. Cash, money or cashier's checks are accepted; no personal checks or credit cards.
Accessing Marriage/Death Certificates: Any person may obtain a copy of a marriage or death certificate (all documents subject to the Freedom of Information Act). Social Security Numbers WILL BE REMOVED as applicable, in accordance with Public Act 97-7. The charge is $5.00 for a marriage or death certificate, and all copies will be certified with a raised seal. Cash, money or cashier's checks are accepted; no personal checks or credit cards.
You can obtain a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate by stopping into the Town Clerk's Office, 235 Grand Street, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm or by printing out a request form on the website for the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk's Office and the City of Waterbury thank you for your cooperation.