The Waterbury Development Corporation, in partnership with the City, categorizes city-wide brownfields in order to determine the conditions that may have impeded the reuse of the sites; determines the human health and ecological health risks; estimates the cost of remediating individual sites; and when possible, acquire and remediate a site.
A Center City Brownfields Corridor was established as a guide for a strategic, targeted approach for using brownfield assessment funds and to redevelop challenged areas based on the following goals:
- Smart Growth Redevelopment
- Public transportation accessibility for Transit Oriented Development
- Soliciting developer interest
- Support the cross-cutting federal funding concept
- Provide a base for discussion and preparation of an area redevelopment plan
- Insure access to the Enterprise Zone